Many patients, as they age, wish to enhance the appearance of their face aesthetically or improve the overall symmetry of various parts of their bodies. Often fillers and fat injection cosmetic surgery will be used in either procedure.
When you decide to have this work done, it’s mandatory to consult with your Wellesley or Boston cosmetic surgeon and fully explain the outcome you are striving for. After going over your medical history, etc., they can help you decide which procedure will work best for you.
The decision to use either fillers or injections is a highly personal one. As with any surgery, you and your surgeon will have to decide if the benefits achieved outweigh the possible risks of potential complications of fillers and injections.
The benefits, however, of fat transfer via injection or fillers have been well established and include:
- Correcting facial or body imperfections.
- Adding volume with a non-allergenic, autologous material (in the case of fat injection).
- Give your face or body a smoother, more symmetrical, youthful appearance.
These procedures are widely used, and the following side effects, which usually occur around the injection site, may be immediate but usually clear up in 7 to 14 days.
- Redness in the injection area.
- Minor swelling.
- Minor pain.
- Some bruising.
- Minor itching or a rash.
Although exceedingly rare, some of the more severe side effects that have been noted are:
- Infection at the site.
- Some leakage of the filler through at the injection site
- Types of nodules around the injection site that may be surgically removed.
- Granulomas, which is a type of inflammatory reaction to the filler itself.
- Movement of the filler from one area to another.
- Injury to blood vessels.
- Some tissue death due to blocked blood flow to the area.
Your qualified, professional, and experienced cosmetic surgeon will always be sure to explain all the risks you may face. Also, by doing a detailed and thorough examination of your body and medical history, you may decide on one type of surgery to avoid complications.
What Type of Safety Precautions Will My Surgeon Use to Minimize Risk?
There are many ways in which your surgeon will assess whether you are a suitable candidate for fillers or injections, thereby vastly reducing your chance of side effects. You can also help to minimize your risk by:
- Always use a licensed, professionally trained, and experienced medical professional (an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon) to perform the procedure.
- Have the procedure done in a proper medical setting, not in someone’s home or at a mall kiosk.
- Thoroughly question your surgeon about their experience with the type of filler they have chosen. The more experience they have with the procedure and product, the better.
- Never purchase fillers online, and only obtain them from a licensed medical provider.
- Fillers should be in unopened and properly labeled containers and syringes.
- Make sure that the filler is FDA-approved for your type of surgery.
- Being fully aware of the risks and potential side effects.
- Tell your doctor about all medications and supplements you currently use.
By working with a well-known, experienced Boston or Wellesley cosmetic surgeon, and their team, you can feel confident that they will take all the necessary precautions to give you the youthful appearance you desire, with a minimum of risk.
Are There Certain Risk Factors I Should Be Aware Of?
The answer is yes; after thoroughly going over your medical history, medications, and current conditions, you and your surgeon may see some health issues that may cause concern. In this case, your doctor would always make you aware of the risk and possibly utilize another type of procedure.
For example, you may not use fillers if the following is true:
- Your skin is inflamed or has a rash, active acne, hives, etc.
- You may be allergic to any of the filler’s ingredients.
- You have a bleeding disorder of any type.
- You are pregnant, breastfeeding, or under eighteen, as safety hasn’t been studied in these areas.
- Your skin, or skin type, is susceptible to scarring. For example, you have a keloid or an overgrowth of scar tissue.
Once again, the experience of your cosmetic surgeon, and their team, is your best overall protection against the possibility of side effects, no matter how rare.
What Are Some Things I Should Know Regarding Fat Injections and Fillers?
When used as a cosmetic treatment, fat injection is always a natural, versatile, long-lasting, and commonly safe procedure. Fat injections, in some cases, have become the preferred method of facial volume enhancement for patients who are allergic to dermal fillers such as bovine-derived collagen. One of the significant benefits of volume enhancement via fat injection is a minimal chance of an adverse allergic reaction.
Another common and popular reason for choosing fat transfer/injection is the length of the procedure’s results. It’s commonly accepted that about 65 percent of the injected fat will be reabsorbed into the body within a few months of the fat injection. Still, the remaining 35 percent will usually last for many years to come.
Dermal fillers or ‘fillers’ are substances that are injected into the skin to restore volume or reshape the face or body. This is done using a minor surgical procedure and a simple injection. Many fillers also dissolve. So if you don’t like the results, the filler can be removed.
These fillers are made of substances such as hyaluronic acid, calcium hydroxylapatite, and poly-l-lactic acid, just to name a few. Different fillers also have varying degrees of permanence regarding your new and improved appearance.
I Do Want A Procedure Using Fillers of Fat Injection Done; How Should I Proceed?
Remember, it’s mandatory to explain to your cosmetic surgeon exactly what look you expect and want to attain by using this procedure. After that, provide all the details of your medical history, and consult fully with your Boston or Wellesley cosmetic surgeon. By discussing your expectations and inherent risk, you both decide which procedure should be utilized.
In this way, you will be obtaining the youthful, vibrant look that you desire can be vital to your confidence and overall happiness. Your professional, experienced cosmetic Surgeon will have had excellent results in refining the beauty of their patients by using these procedures with highly personalized care and compassion. Consult with them first and safely move forward to attain your desired appearance.